Journey Along the Civil Rights Trail
Travel to the American South and immerse yourself in its music, art, food and stories, while meeting locals, exploring the sights, and hearing moving first-hand stories from the Civil Rights Movement. Meet activists, visit museums, devour delicious cuisine and pay your respects on this vibrant cultural journey.
- 1 Welcome Reception (WR)
- 8 Breakfast (B)
- 3 Lunch (L)
- 2 Dinner (D)
- Tuskegee: Brunch and southern hospitality is in store for you at the restored antebellum home of Ms. Sandy Taylor, a retired Superintendent of the National Park Service.
- Memphis: A local specialist will share stories of Memphis' past and present through the lens of African American history and current cultural treasures that Africans Americans have contributed to the city, local businesses, art, food.
- Clarksdale: Visit the Delta Blues Museum and Dive Into Culture as you learn about the story of the blues. You'll be inspired by the musicians that kicked off the blues genre and the passionate locals keeping it alive today.
- Birmingham: This evening at dinner you'll begin to learn about the importance of song and music in the African American community from Carlton Reese Choir.
- Selma: Take a tour and listen to a discussion lead by a local specialist here at Brown Chapel AME Church the starting point for voting rights marches including the events of March 7, 1965 "Bloody Sunday." Tabernacle Baptist Church is the next stop where you are hosted for a tour and presentation about the church whose members were active in the Dallas County Voters League which invited Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. to Selma in 1964.
- : At the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute you'll learn about the struggles of the Civil Rights Movement in the 1950s and 1960s.
- Memphis: The museum is built around the former Lorraine Motel, which was the site of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the most visible spokesman and leader in the American civil rights movement. The museum is devoted to the thousands of people who were a part of the entire American Civil Rights Movement. It is one of the nation's premier heritage and cultural museums.
- Memphis: Enjoy a special after hours experience as you tour the museum of American Soul. This museum is a part of the Soulsville Foundation which "The Soulsville Foundation perpetuates the soul of Stax Records by preserving its rich cultural legacy, educating youth to be prepared for life success, and inspiring future artists to achieve their dreams.
- Mississippi: Follow the stories of Emmett Till and so many others, which are illustrated through the eight interactive galleries of the incredible Mississippi Civil Rights Museum. Through personal stories and interactive displays, it provides a sobering look into the systematic oppression of Black Mississippians and their fight for equality between 1945 and 1970.
- : Explore Memphis, Selma & Birmingham with a Local Specialist, Key stops along the Mississippi Delta
- : View Mississippi Blues Trail, Mississippi Freedom Trail
- : Visit National Civil Rights Museum, Stax Museum of American Soul Music, Mississippi Civil Rights Museum, Edmund Pettus Bridge, Clarksdale, Greenwood, Jackson, Legacy Museum in Montgomery, Tuskegee, Atlanta
- : An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- : Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- : All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- : All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- : Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- : Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- : Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- : All transport and transfers shown
- : Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- : Optional Experiences and free time
- : On occasion, hotels of similar standard and location may be utilized.
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- All transport and transfers shown
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Optional Experiences and free time
- On occasion, hotels of similar standard and location may be utilized.
- Educational and Learning
Imagine unmissable experiences you've always dreamed of, getting to know the locals and having everything taken care of every step of the way.
Here's what you'll experience:
Must-sees to local secrets
Visiting bucket list sites are a highlight of traveling, however, traveling on your own can make them hard work. Don't queue with other sightseers for hours, with Trafalgar our experts unlock doors - think exclusive access to the Vatican out of hours or a...